Confession. Last Monday, I wasn’t annoyed that the scales showed no weight loss. I was annoyed because they showed a seven pound gain! I knew that wasn’t valid; however, I was still all kinds of irritated. If you’ll notice, as of today, 22 April 2013, the weight loss counter shows a total loss of only six pounds. So, yes, last Monday, the scales showed that for all of my efforts, I had gained a pound.
This morning, the scales show me back down at the six pound total loss. I promise that from this point forward, I will be 100% honest with you about the scale results. I didn’t want to do that last week, however, because I knew that the numbers were flawed and I knew that if I pushed through, they would correct. However, if you are just starting your weight loss journey, that kind of information could just torpedo the whole project right there – or, at least, it would have for me in times past.
So, I’m back to square two, and that’s not such a bad place to be. The momentum is heading in the right direction and the things I did last week worked; so, I will continue doing those this week:
- I drank LOTS of water – in the form of water or coffee, I drank at least 8 pints a day.
- I kept my wheat portions down to no more than two in the whole week. I satisfied my grain needs with steel cut oats. This week, I will add a little brown rice.
- I ate no more than two fruit servings per day.
- I got in at least four hours of exercise this week that included five days. I’ll be honest, a couple of those days were kind of phone-in efforts. This week, I add that I will get in four hours of exercise that include me getting sweaty and include at least five days.
As ever for those of us with chronic, self-esteem related weight issues, the keys are:
- modify my behavior. To get different results, I must do different things.
- (and this is most important) DO NOT ALLOW OLD, NEGATIVE THINKING PATTERNS TO DEFEAT ME.
I will continue to be my own best friend and defender rather than my own worst enemy.